Posted by: tgonzales | June 3, 2013

New York City May 2013 Trip Part 2



Thank you so much for all the views and kind comments on Friday. It’s always nice to know that I am missed and that you like what I have to share. It makes me smile! Let’s see… continuing with Part 2 and after we ate our pizza we took the subway to Bryant Park. There was a huge area in the middle of the park where there was lush green grass and open sky. As we arrived at the park there were actually people lying out on the grass soaking up the sun. I wish I would have taken a picture it was so-o-o-o cool. Anyway, right after I took these photos a thunderstorm came through and I hid in the bathrooms while John huddled under an umbrella with a total stranger on the other side of the park because he left me to go and get a cup of coffee. Joshua had left us to go and pick up his paycheck and as he was trying to get back to us he got soaked from head to toe. I had to put my camera away and as soon as there was a break in the storm we headed for the subway and we ended the day at Jeremy’s apartment to wait out the rain. When I found out we were going to be there for a while I suggested that I prepare tacos, rice, and salsa for dinner. So that meant a trip to the store; so Joshua and Jeremy went with list in hand to purchase what we would need for me to prepare dinner. They were kind enough to let John and I stay behind to rest up and I took advantage of the nice long couch to catch a little nap. I loved making dinner and loved listening to Jeremy teach Joshua how to make mixed drinks as John sat and sampled.


On Friday we woke to more rain and 45 degree weather. This was the view from Joshua’s bedroom. I felt so happy that I had remembered to grab my jacket before heading out the door in Wichita, but I was sad at the same time because I left it on the airplane when we had a layover in Atlanta on the way to New York. So that meant I needed to layer on with sweaters. Thank goodness I had packed my scarf that’s made of Pashmina and silk along with my crocheted Mother Hood, and thank goodness we packed our emergency orange rain ponchos. I know Joshua was so embarrassed by our looks but I was cold and I did not want to be wet.


The Friday plans were to spend a couple of hours with John’s brother Pete who drove from Connecticut to New York to see us.


My Sister-in-Law Shirley was excited to see Joshua.


We all had lunch together before they had to head back home. It was good to see them and I appreciate them taking so much time out of their day to do so.


After we left Pete and Shirley we decided to brave the elements and find a store called Tinsel Trading Company. I loved taking pictures of some of the cool store fronts and this one caught my eye because of the dress that was displayed in the window. It wasn’t crochet but it just looked cool.


Then this one was all about paper. Everything in the window was made out of paper; very cool! I know my friend Bev sure would have loved it.


Here’s a set of doors that I thought was so neat looking.



Then we found Tinsel Trading Company and I felt like I was in Heaven. I loved the ribbons, trims, and all the really cool things that they have.


I ended up purchasing a few things there because I just had to, don’t you know? I loved how all my ribbons, trims, and rick-rack fit into that tiny cellophane bag all sealed up with a Tinsel Trading Company business card. I told the clerk that I was going to crochet on the edge of the rick-rack and she thought that was so-o-o-o-o cool. I think I might send her a picture once I finish it.



Oh and those velvety leaves and green ribbon are going to look so neat on another embellished purse. I think the felted flowers will look cool along with some crocheted flowers on it too. I can’t wait to get started.  🙂


When we left Tinsel Trading Company we headed to the Chinese store again. This time I picked up a few items that I thought were neat. I’m so sad that John didn’t get his dragon jacket or shirt that he wanted. Oh well there’s always Father’s Day or his birthday, right?


After that it was time to eat dinner so we decided to head for a restaurant that makes French fries; it’s called Pommes Frites.


Joshua had told us that he loves to go there, so that’s where we had our dinner. We ended the evening with walking along a street in the East Village where there were vendors selling their wares. John loved that part of the town and we both couldn’t believe that at 9:30 pm there were people everywhere. (nothing like the streets of Wichita)  🙂


Saturday consisted of breakfast at Dunkin Donuts and walking back to the apartment to get ready to go to Joshua’s graduation called the “Final Reel”. I couldn’t help take this photo of my Chacho Aaron and his Daddy getting ready.


The funny thing is that John always seems to get in our way when we are trying to get ready and it was no different on this day. 😉




The graduation and Final Reel was at a theatre with a huge screen. The Final Reel consisted of 79 New York Conservatory for the Dramatic Arts in Theater, Film and Television graduating students doing a one minute monologue and the Conservatory compiled all of them into a film. It was fun seeing all of their faces on the big screen.


After the Final Reel we walked to the 40/40 Club where the school had reserved the club for a couple of hours. Free drinks and Hors Devours. It was cool because the club had big screens everywhere where the students’ monologue film was running on all of them.


Since John and I hadn’t had any lunch or dinner we decided to leave the club and venture out to find something to eat. It wouldn’t have been a pretty picture if we would have started drinking on an empty stomache. 😉 Luckily right across the street we found a restaurant called Hill Country Chicken.


This was my meal and to say the least it was way too much food and I could not finish it.


After we ate we headed back to the 40/40 Club where we took a few photos and decided to leave to go back to the apartment as we knew that we had to get up the next day to head home. I know I couldn’t believe that we were going to venture out on our own; just John and me.





On our way back we decided to take our time and stop and smell the roses and the rain had let up enough that I could take out my camera once again and shoot some pictures. We arrived back at the apartment around 7ish and decided to watch a DVD on Joshua’s computer while we relaxed on his futon bed. As we were getting ready to watch “Despicable Me” Joshua came in and we ended our night with him sitting between us while we watched the movie. I loved that Joshua gave up going to an after party party to be with us. The next morning we woke and packed up our things and Jeremy was kind enough to leave his family to come and drive us to the airport so that we didn’t have to drag our bags through the subway. I appreciated that more than he will ever know. As they dropped us off in front of the airport and Joshua stepped out to give me the best hug ever; the kind of hug that makes me feel good down to my toes and the one when I think about it too much rips my heart out. As I kissed him goodbye with tears in my eyes we headed into the airport to fly home. As much as I loved being with Joshua and loved seeing what he sees in living in a big city; I was never so glad to see our home, car, and BED as I was the Sunday before last. And there you have it, our trip to New York City May 2013, I hope you enjoyed the ride.


  1. That’s one very special and super-bright boy you have there, he looks like he’s always happy to see a camera! The one of him and John getting ready is classic, both focused on their belts. That’s the one I’d frame!
    And that chicken dinner – too much food? nah!!!!!! I could have managed it easy 🙂

    • You are so right about Joshua being ready for the camera. He always has a special face to make. The fun thing about it is that I never know what kind it will be. Thank God I caught the one where he was flipping me off before I posted it. 🙂 Oh by the way the chicken dinner was the best meal I had in New York next to my taco dinner. 😉 Thanks so much for stopping by.
      Love and Hugs, Tamara

  2. What a grand adventure! Thanks for taking the time to share it. I really liked the picture of the two of them getting ready. And when I saw the one of John and his brother (before I read the text) I thought…man those two sure do look alike! LOL I know how fun it is to go on vacation, but it’s equally thrilling to get back home to one’s own bed, too!

    • Hi Jeanne!

      Thanks so much for enjoying the trip with me. Yes John and his brother look like brothers for sure. 🙂 It’s also equally funny to hear Joshua and John banter back and forth and to hear them moan in their sleep at the same time. I can’t wait to plan the next trip. Thank you for stopping by to comment.

      Love and Hugs, Tamara

  3. So glad you got to spend such a great week with Joshua. I would have loved the paper shop I’m sure. I’ve read about that place, looked it up online and dreamed about going! Enjoyed all your New York pictures.

    • Don’t know why I came up Anonymous. Do I need to fill out my info somewhere? 🙂

    • Hi Bev!

      I knew you would love that store and that wasn’t the only paper store that I saw. They have so many of them. They also have chair stores that looked totally fascinating, I’ll have to check them out the next trip to NY. Thanks so enjoying my pictures and my stories.

      Hugs, Tamara

  4. I feel that I have been to new york through your camera lens. I love all the pictures, expecially the dress in Tinsel Trading company and the tall skinny building and the ribbon and trim store. Ah heck they are all amazing. We are both scheduled to work tornado relief all this week, and probably next week also. Makes my feet and back hurt just to think about it. Love you girl. sw

    • Hi Sue!

      Thanks for traveling with me to New York! The dress was actually at 3 NY store? We did not go in there but the dresses all looked very expensive, heck everything in NY looked and was expensive. 😉 I really appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to stop by to comment it really means a lot to me. The people of Moore are very lucky to have you and Gerald to help them out. Love you and your generosity. Tamara

  5. Hi Tamara! ~ Sorry to hear about your jacket left on the plane. 😦
    As for the pic of you in your kewl attire: “Anything goes” in NYC, ya know. LOL!
    That tall, ‘thin’ building is amazing!
    Glad ya found some fun things to buy … and create new things.
    Oh boy, yah, that “see ya later” hug from Joshua …. (’nuff said….)
    Such wonderful memories, such a happy guy Joshua is. So what’s next for him?
    Thanks for letting us walk down *your* trip in Memory Lane. 🙂
    One always needs to rest up at home after a vacation. LOL

    Love ‘n Hugs ~
    :: Kat ::

    • Hi Kat!

      Thanks for always loving what I write about and I’m glad you enjoyed the pictures of our trip. In regards to my attire; John and I were the only ones out of the thousands of people we met up with who had orange emergency rain ponchos on. I didn’t really care because I sure didn’t want to get wet.

      I loved that thin triangular shaped building; it was so cool and I’m glad I stopped and smelled the roses (or actually took photos of it) with John. 😉

      As always it was so nice to hear from you and thanks so much for commenting. It always makes me smile. 🙂

      Love you,

  6. What a fun trip, felt like we were walking and talking together through the whole thing! Only I wasn’t tired or hungry or wet… So glad you and John got to take such an amazing trip – wonderful memories for all of you! Thank you for sharing it, Tamara – not easy and surely not appreciated enough!! Glad you took us to such fun and pretty places. Congratulations to Joshua on all his hard work. Look forward to hearing about his next chapter in life.


    • Hi Steph!

      It’s always nice to hear from you and I loved that you enjoyed the trip too. Especially since you didn’t have to walk in the rain and cold or walk up and down those subway stairs. UGH! Those stairs were torture and just when I was happy that we were going to go to Joshua’s apartment and then when we got there I had to climb stairs to get to the front entry (where I tripped up every time) then there were 4 flights of stairs to get to his apartment. 😉 I did find out one thing is that I do know now that I can walk a lot farther than I thought I ever could. Thanks so much for stopping by to comment and I will make sure I keep you all posted on what is going on in Joshua’s life as I find out myself.

      Love, Tamara

  7. Thanks for sharing the trip. We went to NY for my 50th and it was so good to see some of the things we saw. Can’t beat your baby graduating can you! Congratulations to him and his proud Momma without whom he could not have achieved so much!

    • Hi Cathy!

      I’m glad you enjoyed the trip to see Joshua. Yes, I am very proud of him and am happy that he’s trying to do something that he loves to do and that’s ACT. Thanks so much for stopping by to comment.

      Hugs, Tamara

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: